- Do ensure that all electrical connections in the circuit including the battery are clean and secure.
- Check the electrical terminals of the battery and Starter.
- Maintain the battery in good condition by checking charge level.
- Ensure starters are firmly mounted on to the engine and ensure proper electrical grounding.
- Tighten torque for terminal connections & threaded mounting hole as per specifications.
- Alterations in main power line & control line wiring harnesses may adversely affect the starter function, so it's better to consult a qualified electrician.
- Use suitably designed wiring harness to prevent the short circuiting of starter terminals.
- During testing of Starter Motor on the engine rig, it is recommended to use the required generator power supply source or battery in fully charged condition.
- During testing, ensure proper connection of Starter Motor Battery & Solenoid terminals with available power source.
- The starter terminals are not generally protected against external contact. Before carrying out work on the engine near the Starter or on the Starter itself, the battery or power source must be disconnected.
- Observe correct polarity, i.e connect negative to negative and positive to positive.
- Ensure there is enough fuel in the tank to avoid airlock.
- Do not operate the starter motor when the engine is running as this could result in damage to the starter motor pinion & flywheel ring gear.
- Do not crank continuously if the engine doesn't fire immediately, allow some time to cool the starter motor before cranking again.
- If still the engine does not start, ascertain the cause and do not drain the battery by cranking the starter motor.
- Do not move the vehicle using the starter motor.
- Do not subject the starter motor to continuous oil/ water drip.
- Do not accelerate immediately after a start (allow the engine idle RPM to stabilize).
- For Starter Motor testing, avoid striking of power source cable with Starter Motor battery & solenoid terminals.
- To protect Starter Motor terminals from painting marks, avoid application of grease. During painting of the engine, avoid paint on pinion, pinion shaft.
- The Starter Motor should not be used as the prime mover for the vehicle (as in cases where the vehicle gets drained of fuel and the Starter Motor is subjected to drive the vehicle).
- After engine fires, Starter Motors should not be subjected to operation.
BASIC UNDERSTANDING OF A AUTOMOBILE STARTER