In 2010, Valeo launched the second generation of belt driven starter alternator reversible machine, the i-StARS. i-StARS stands for Integrated Starter Alternator Reversible System.
The aim of i-StARS development was:
● To offer more performance
● To simplify the system integration in the numerous vehicle architectures.
● To make the system affordable to more vehicles categories.
The i-StARS machine is composed of:
● A rotor
● A stator
● A control frame with several micro electronics modules for control and power
● A rotor angular position sensor
● Two connectives systems, one for 12v battery cable and one for control signals
● A brush holder
● A heat sink
● A fan system
● Ball bearings
● Housing and brackets
● A poly-V pulley
The i-StARS machine
Contrary to the very first StARS machines, the i-StARS Technology embeds inside the body of the machine all control and power electronics required to manage the starting, the charging mode and new features.
● No more power cable
● No more external power controller
i-StARS development was a real technical challenge knowing all physical constraints that need to withstand underhood products, particularly when fitted onto the engine body.
What’s More with i-StARS?
i-StARS's power electronics improve the system's electrical efficiency to make it one of the most efficient alternators on the market.
● i-StARS solution is lighter
● i-StARS connectivity is comparable to the one of an alternator
● Electronics continuous operating temperature capability is +25% higher
● i-StARS is scalable up to 3 kW
● i-StARS benefits from and increased torque capability
● Best in class alternator efficiency thanks to synchronous rectification
● Thermal management for higher peak torque output
● Durability: 600,000 restarts
Engine-Off coasting and reflex start
Engine-Off coasting is the ability while driving to:
1-Switch the gearbox to neutral when no engine torque is required
2-Stop the engine, the unique mechanical energy source being at that time the vehicle kinetic energy
3-Drive the vehicle in freewheeling conditions up to a standstill state.
For more Technical Training please check our Web seminar on i-Stars